Moscow Region State University is one of the largest universities in Moscow region and has a history about 85 years.
The central building of the University is an architecture monument. Its main part was constructed in the 1770 – 1790-th while on this place was an estate of the famous Russian noble family of Demidov. After the war between Russia and France in 1812 – 1814-th became many orphan girls from noble families whose fathers have given their lives for liberty of the Fatherland and for victory over French emperor Napoleon. Because of that fact the Russian empress Elizaveta wife of the Russian emperor Alexander I has bought Demidov’s estate and established their boarding school for noble ladies. Further this boarding school became institute for ladies named after empress Elizaveta. Also after Elizaveta was named the nearest side street which retains its title even now – “Elizavetinskiy” what means “Elizavets’s”.
In 1918 after the October revolution institute for ladies named after empress Elizaveta war reorganized into school for boys and girls. Very soon after that school was reorganized into school for working youth on the base of which were opened courses for teachers – Moscow Pedagogical School.
In 1931 on the basis of the previously existent Moscow Pedagogical School was created Moscow Region Pedagogical Institute (MRPI) – future Moscow Region State University.
The main goal of the Institute was training of teaching staff for the purposes of Moscow Region, so teachers were trained at six faculties: Russian Language and Literature Faculty, Faculty of History, Faculty of Geography, Faculty of Physics, Faculty of Chemistry and Faculty of Economics. Besides, the Institute organized preparatory courses in Moscow, Kaluga and Tula. All this indicates that MRPI was actively preparing school teachers.
In the 1930s a lot of famous scientists worked in MRPI, among them there was a well-known expert in Ancient Russian History Academician Boris Grekov and one of the founders of Soviet pedagogy Ivan Ogorodnikov.
Nadezhda Krupskaya, a wife of a founder of the Soviet State Vladimir Lenin, also worked in MRPI. She researched problems of child-rearing and founded several literature museums.
The Institute went through the Great Patriotic War with honour. Most of the teachers and students were gone to the front, and many of them died defending their Motherland. In October of 1941 the Institute was evacuated to the Kirov region, but in early 1942 MRPI resumed its work in the capital. In addition, MRPI opened branches for teachers in Kaluga and Serpukhov as well as in a number of cities on the territories liberated from the German invaders.
In the postwar years MRPI rapidly restored its human resources and began to develop new branches of activities.
In 1946 a faculty of Physical Training and a Faculty of Foreign Languages were opened. In 1947 the Chair of Logics and Psychology started its work at the Faculty of Literature. In 1957 the Chair of Basic Agriculture was founded at the Faculty of Natural Sciences, in 1959 a new industrial and Pedagogical Chair was created at the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics and in 1960 this Chair became a faculty.
In 1971 Moscow Regional Pedagogical Institute named after Krupskaya became the leading institution with the right to publish scientific and educational literature.
On the 28th of June, 1981 MRPI was awarded Order of the Red Banner of Labour, one of the highest state awards of the Soviet Union, for the success achieved in teachers training.
In 1991, Moscow Region Pedagogical Institute changed its name to Moscow Pedagogical University. It was the logical result of the Institute’s development which had ten faculties (those of Russian Language and Literature, Foreign Languages, History, Physics and Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry, Geography, Chemistry and Service Work, Physical Training, Fines Arts, Preparatory education), 44 chairs, the Department of Training for Organizers of Popular Education and the Postgraduate Department.
The 1990s were difficult years for Russia, but the University found ways for further development. The Faculties of Law, Economics, Fine Arts and Folk Crafts, Psychology and Speech Pathology were opened.
In 2002 Moscow Region Pedagogical University became a classical university and was renamed into Moscow Region State University. This decision helped to optimize the University’s functioning. New chairs and centers were opened, additional specializations appeared for candidate and doctorate studies, the Institute of Open Education was created, the Spiritual Enlightenment Center began its work.
But it was not only a question of a number of structural departments. The University’s main achievement is its alumni: teachers, heads of administrative institutions, sportsmen and intellectuals. They are our support, our pride, they give to the University the distinguished place among the universities of Russia and contribute to its constant development and confidence about the future.