Traditional signs of winter are: snow, New Year and … flu. Annual epidemics incapacitate thousands of people. The only source of SARS infection for everyone is a sick person, even if he has a weak disease. The infection is transmitted through the air with droplets of mucus and saliva. By sneezing once, we spray up to 10 meters of nearly 85 million viral particles.
The greatest danger that influenza entails is possible complications (exacerbation of heart and lung diseases, sometimes leading to death). A temperature above 38 degrees for more than three days, rapid breathing, complete refusal to eat, anxiety or drowsiness are signs that require calling a doctor.
It is known that there are 3 types of prevention of flu and SARS. These are prophylaxis with the help of vaccines (specific, vaccinoprophylaxis), chemoprophylaxis (antiviral agents prescribed by doctor) and prevention, implying compliance with the rules of personal and public hygiene (nonspecific).
Vaccination is the most effective measure against flu.
The introduction of the vaccine into the body can’t cause disease, but by producing protective antibodies stimulates the immune system to fight against infection. Flu vaccines are safe and highly effective in preventing influenza and complications. Vaccination reduces the incidence of influenza in an average of 2 times, vaccinated people in case of their disease, get it easier and does not get any complications.
Vaccination against flu is better to be carried out in autumn in advance of the flu season, so that there is time to develop the immunity. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to provide reliable protection against flu, and 1-1.5 months for weakened people. Now it is the time to get vaccinated, if you haven’t done it yet.
Last year vaccination doesn’t not protect against flu, since the acquired immunity is not long-lasting.
Currently, various preparations of live and inactivated influenza vaccines are registered and approved for use in Russia.
Some hints for preventing flu and SARS.
- do not overwork: observe the regime of study, work and rest. Spend more time outdoors, sleep enough time and eat properly;
- do morning gymnastics, exercises;
- in case of illness of relatives, if possible, isolate them in a separate room;
- wash your hands properly before eating, after returning from the street, as well as after using common items, if there is a sick person in the family (a huge part of microbes is transmitted through common items-railings in transport, products in supermarkets and, of course, banknotes);
- often ventilate the room and carry out wet cleaning, sleep with an open window, but avoid drafts;
- limit visits to crowded places (theaters, cinemas, supermarkets) and mass events, where due to the large crowd of people the virus spreads very quickly;
- during the epidemic it is recommended to wash the nose and gargle at least 2-3 times a day;
- wear a medical mask, but do not forget about the rules of its use (use once, change at least 1 time in 3 hours).
Follow these simple rules of prevention and be healthy!